Activate the Map
 

Lerpa [Lerpa]

The Lerpa village gets its name from the river named Lerch Poch, which means Larches' Stream, the name of the torrent that passes through it coming down the southern slopes of Mount Ferro. It is the most recent of the Sappada villages.

Development there began in the 1920s at the western end of the village, where the chapel of Saint John the Baptist has stood since 1815. (In 1954, this chapel was rededicated to St. Mary Help of Christians). In 1983 the village experienced further growth with the construction of a tourist residential complex known as "Borgo al Sole".

Because the village's development has been a recent phenomenon, noteworthy architectural features are rather scarce and there is almost no traditional residential architecture. The only exception is the 19th century Peratoner House in the locality of Plotta. Formerly known as the Plotta-Pčater House, it once belonged to the Granvilla Village, to which it was directly connected by a trail. All the village's stable-barns are from the 20th century and, architecturally, are of second and third generation. There are, however, several devotional landmarks, specifically three small chapels and three crucifixes.

On the side (Ob(e)rLerpa) overlooking the lesser chapel of Lerpa (Klāne Lerpamaindl), there are also noteworthy archaic stone circles, which could date back to the age of the first known settlements or be the vestiges of even earlier, yet unknown, settlers. The meaning of these circles has yet to be determined. Farther west, deep in the woods, one can also find about ten pits enclosed by dry stone walls; believed to be remnants of lime ovens, their ultimate meaning also remains obscure due to their unusual position.