Activate the Map
 

Soravia [Begar]

The Soravia village, separated from the Kratten village by the basin of a stream of the same name, is situated at the edge of a grassy cliff that overlooks it, jutting out from the northern side of the valley.

The historical center is located at an average altitude of 1245 m and is, perhaps, the least built up of all the villages of Sappada, since the houses that make it up are considerably spaced from each other.

The stretch of road that gradually goes up towards the Ecche village gets its name (Zāine) from the fences that delimit it. At the center of the settlement stands the small chapel of St. Joseph, also known as Bégarmaindl, built in 1891 by the families of the village. Next to it, a fountain and a crucifix complete the triad of the traditional village points of reference and meeting. Another fountain can be found next to the 18th century s'Iācklars house (1786). Remarkable are the 17th century s'Mėllian s'Tėtz'n houses, with its newer hay-loft and its ancient lateral wings, and the s'Kėtzlars s'Bārblan house (1668), with its substantial masonry sections. Just as noteworthy are the 18th century Rķdar house, a classic-type residence, and the large s'Mėllian s'Stānnilan stable/hay-loft (1778), an important example of a rustic complex of the first type.

At the western end of the village, near the edge of the gully dug by the Kratten stream, between 1971 and 1973 the people of Sappada erected a sanctuary dedicated to Mary Queen of Peace. The architect Luciano Ria designed this temple, which was built to fulfill a vow pronounced on the 9th of April 1944 by the residents of Sappada faced with the dangers of war. The shrine is the second largest religious building in Sappada.