Granvilla [Dorf]

Gru˛ssekirche

[St. Margaret Parish Church]

Granvilla Village - Historic Center

Class Type C.1

Date: 1777-1779

Catalog 2.01

The church of St. Margaret was documented for the first time in a donation act dated 1327 ("Santa Margarita de Longaplave"). It was enlarged in 1666, then rebuilt between 1777 and 1779 by architect Master Thomas from Lienz, and solemnly consecrated by the Archbishop of Udine Nicol˛ Sagredo on the 14th of June 1790.

The building is in the late baroque style; its sides are modeled by two series of 4 round arches under which the niches of lateral altars are inserted. The bell-tower ends with an octagonal turret topped by a curved cusp.

The interior is made of a single chamber from the bottom of which protrudes the presbytery.

With the sole exception of the rich baroque-style stucco decoration of the ambo and of a few other pictorial and sculptural elements, most of the internal decorations date to the first quarter of the 20th century. The frescoes on the ceiling and walls of the presbytery are from this period (work of Francesco Barazzutti from Gemona, 1906-1907, The Assumption; The Fathers of the Church; The Glorification of St. Margaret; The Crucifixion; The Evangelists; The Death of St. Joseph; The Martyrdom of St. Margaret), along with the elegant Main Altar (work of the Cavallini brothers from Pove, 1915, with sculptures of Arturo Ferraroni from Cremona), and some elements of the lateral altars. There are also a few later additions, dating from the middle of the 20th century, such as the glass windows (1940) and the steps of the lateral altars (1943).

At the bottom of the apse there is an altar-piece representing The Holy Trinity with the Virgin Mary and St. Margaret, painted in 1802 by Johann Renzler from St. Lorenzen. The painting known as Our Lady of Einsiedeln dates to the second half of the 19th century and was purchased from a Swiss Benedictine abbey of the same name. Of particular note, on either side of the first left altar one can find the wooden statues of St. Margaret and St. Catherine of Alexandria, attributed to Michael Parth and dating from around 1540.